Jaguar XK150 FHC
|Mileage||101 km (after restoration)|
The XK150 was the third and final step in the evolution of the XK concept. The model was launched in May 1957, initially with a choice of coupe (fixed-head) and convertible (drophead) bodies. The spyder followed almost a year later, and was initially only available with left-hand drive for export, with most of these cars destined for the US.
The XK150’s styling has been updated, and while the car has lost some of the grace that characterized the first and purest version of the XK design, it has clearly become more muscular. There have been other notable improvements. Although a “standard” XK150 with drum brakes is listed in the catalog, all production cars were of the “Special Equipment” model, which had four-wheel disc brakes. Almost all the cars had steel wheels, except for a handful of cars with disc wheels and boxes on the rear wheels.
The 3.4-liter engine now produces 210 hp, and 250 hp on the new “S” model equipped with a three-carburetor engine, introduced in 1959. That’s not the end of the story either, as Jaguar has introduced a larger 3.8-liter XK engine. From October 1959, there is a 3.8-liter XK150 with 220 hp and an “S” version with 265 hp (raw figures). The latter was the most powerful of all the production XK models and reached no less than 219 km/h in an independent road test. Total production of the XK line from 1948 to 1960 was 30,000 cars, including 9,385 XK150 models.
This example, a 3.4 liter with automatic transmission, has been completely restored in Belgium over a period of more than 10 years. She is in exceptional condition. It is no longer equipped with its original engine, but with a more torquey and pleasant 4.2-liter XK engine (type C34750FF), a Borg Warner model 35 automatic gearbox and a 123 Ignition.